Skip to content

death pact.

October 8, 2010

On the morning of 12 October 1978, Vicious claimed to have awoken from a drugged stupor to find Nancy dead on the bathroom floor of their room in the hotel chelsea in Manhattan, New York. She had suffered a single stab wound to her abdomen and appeared to have bled to death. The knife used had been bought by Vicious on 42nd Street and was identical to a collector’s knife given to punk rock vocalist stiv bators, of the dead boys. According to Dee Dee’s wife at the time, Vera King Ramone, Sid had bought the knife after seeing Stiv’s.

Vicious was arrested and charged with her murder. He said they had fought that night but gave conflicting versions of what happened next, saying, “I stabbed her, but I didn’t mean to kill her. I loved her, but she treated me like shit”, then saying that he did not remember and at one point arguing Spungen had fallen onto the knife.

The bail of $50,000 was originally set but after some court hearings and work from his lawyer, it was dropped to $25,000. Malcolm McLaren fought and the bail was eventually covered by his record company.

On 22 October, ten days after Spungen’s death, Vicious attempted suicide by slicing his wrist and subsequently became a patient at local hospital. He was charged with assault after an altercation with Todd Smith (singer Patti Smith’s brother) at a skafish concert. Vicious was arrested 9 December 1978 and sent to rikers island jail for 55 days. He was released on bail on 1 February 1979.

One theory regarding the murder is that Spungen was killed in a robbery or drug deal gone wrong, in which one of those involved was Rockets, later to become known as a stand-up comedian and actor. Redglare, who died in 2001, always denied any part in her death. He stated that the other dealer known to have been there that evening had left before him to obtain more heroin, and was due back after he had left the building. He said he believed that the other dealer returned, found Vicious out cold, and attempted to steal the remaining drugs, leading to a confrontation with Spungen.

On the evening of 1 February 1979, a small gathering to celebrate Sid’s having made bail was held at the home of his new girlfriend, Michele Robinson, with whom he had started living the day he got out of  hospital the previous October. Vicious was clean, having been detoxed from heroin during his time at Rikers Island. However, at the dinner gathering, his mother had some heroin delivered, against the wishes of Sid’s girlfriend. The person who delivered it, Peter Kodick, came and stayed for a while. Vicious overdosed later that night. Everyone who was there that night worked together to get him up and walking around in order to revive him. Much later that night, Sid and his girlfriend fell asleep together. Vicious was discovered dead late the next morning. An autopsy confirmed that Vicious died from an accumulation of fluid in the lungs that was consistent with heroin overdose. A syringe, spoon, and heroin residue were discovered near the body. It was theorised that he had taken too much of the nearly 100%-pure heroin to shoot up the third dose himself. After his recent overdose, he should have been unconscious all night.

A few days after Vicious’ cremation, his mother found a suicide note in the pocket of his jacket:

We had a death pact, and I have to keep my end of the bargain. Please bury me next to my baby in my leather jacket, jeans and motorcycle boots. Goodbye..

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: